Great at What We Do
- GIS Certificate Program
In cooperation with several other departments at Iowa State, the community and regional planning department administers a comprehensive graduate certificate program in geographic information systems (GIS). Undergraduate students have access to the program's leading-edge GIS technology.
- GIS Short Courses
- Outreach studios
- Perry studio
- Waukee studio
Student Awards & Research Grants
Recent Planning Publications
- Chair and Professor Francis Owusu recently co-edited a book, "Managing Africa's Natural Resource" (Palgrave Macmillan, 2014)
- Assistant Professor Carlton Basmajian’s recently published book, Atlanta Unbound: Enabling Sprawl through Policy and Planning (Temple University Press, 2013), demonstrates how metropolitan Atlanta’s regional planning groups accelerated the sprawl they were trying to control. Basmajian also co-authored a recently published APA Planning Advisory Service Report (#572) on Planning for the Deceased. He has previously published on the subject in Journal of the American Planning Association and Landscape and Urban Planning.
- Reducing Local Regulatory Barriers to Local Food
Gary Taylor, associate professor and extension specialist, is the lead investigator for a 1-year Leopold Center grant awarded in 2014 to produce a guidebook about municipal zoning and land use regulations as they relate to community gardens, vacant lots converted for production, or sales through non-traditional establishments. The work continues the efforts of the Regional Food Systems Working Group (RFSWG) to support the local foods movement in Iowa.
- Planning Professor Creates New Video Series on Flooding
Gary Taylor, associate professor of community and regional planning and ISU Extension and Outreach planning and development specialist, has developed a new, web-based educational video series on "Flooding in Iowa" for the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. Students from CRP, architecture, landscape architecture, and biological/pre-medical illustration helped Taylor create the illustrations for the series.
- APA Chapter Presidents Council Leadership Award for Chapter Professional Development Officer Recognition
Assistant Professor and ISU Extension Specialist Gary Taylor received the Chapter Presidents Council 2008 Leadership Award for Chapter Professional Development Officer Recognition from the American Planning Association (APA). He was honored for his leadership and dedication to training the professional and citizen planners of Iowa.